Juz a normal guy in this whacky world... Striving to have a "normal" if there is one in this world...

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Linux Ubuntu with Beryl Desktop Manager

Recently like I updated on my chatterbox I'm busy with work :P
Nevertheless I had to relax and have my own time at home.
So what I did was, like the title said, played around with linux ubuntu with the beryl desktop manager working as well!
It actually took me 5 days to get it all working, all because of my ATI card drivers were giving me attitude.
Well anyway its been a long long time since I had ventured into the penguin world.
Last I did was probably around 1998 or 1999 when I was in college.
Well enuff about the history lesson, let me give you all, my loyal blog readers, a little tour of ubuntu + beryl.

To make it simple, ubuntu is linux but just another version which is much much more user friendly compared to RedHat or Fedora or SuSe or Mandrake. It can still be a pain in the arse if you're a pure Microsoft Windows user and never tried linux before.
Beryl however is like the desktop theme manager that allows you to do very very cool stuff with your desktop. Think of it as Vista Aero 3D feature which requires like 2GB of RAM and high speed processor and good graphics card. Beryl - NO! You don't need those high end hardware. I'm running this on my P4 2.8, 512MB RAM and old ATI Radeon 9600 128MB graphics card.

Well... its pretty hard to explain so... let me paint a few millions words with the following screenshots of my desktop and some video from youtube to further amaze you.
However if you are interested to know more, there will be a few links below for you to refer to.


Above photo shows how you can rotate your desktop to show a 4 workspaces


Rotated the desktop while movie was playing in between desktops.
It shows that the movie is lagging but actually it wasn't.


This is like Vista's preview of windows when you Alt+Tab but is more cooler because it goes in a circle.


As for this one, when you move your mouse to the top right hand corner it automatically puts all the open windows properly and you can choose which one you want to go to. Movie is still playing too :P

So as promised here are the videos:

Very incredible:


Comparison of Vista and Ubuntu:


Last one:


Well if you guys are interested and want to try it go to:
Ubuntu Official site - http://www.ubuntu.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28Linux_distribution%29
Beryl Project site - http://www.beryl-project.org/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl

Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did :)

4 comments:

TiBuN said...

I know Dell is offering its first Linux in Europe, didn't know you're in the heat also

uhantu cannot beat windows vista babeh!!

Alvino said...

Dell offered Ubuntu in US long time ago "babeh" and dont even compare vista to ubuntu... vista is crap :)
have you even tried it? :P

TiBuN said...

Vista is the mother of all OS. You can't beat Vista with your useless ubuntu, somemore need beryl to compliment then only look keat.

Beryl sounds like a chocolate brand from Malaysia anyway...

Alvino said...

i shall not argue with you
i forgive thy ignorance